Sunday, June 18, 2006

Kosher Eating in NYC: Wolf and Lamb

Tonight I went to Wolf and Lamb (http://www.wolfandlambsteakhouse.com/), located on 48th between 5th and Madison. Due to the fact that I don’t eat non-Kosher meat and Kosher meat can be expensive, I have not found many opportunities to eat meat since moving to nyc. Because I owed a friend a steak dinner as a thank you, I decided to treat us both to some quality Kosher meat. Mmmmm meat…. I ordered the Chicken Caesar Salad, and he had a steak. Dinner started with complimentary warm garlic bread. My salad was huge with very tender pieces of chicken and tasty portobello mushrooms on top. His steak was cooked to perfection. There is no doubt in my mind why this place specializes in steaks. The meat was cooked to what should be considered the definition of medium-not a second over or undercooked, and was well seasoned without being too seasoned. The steak came with a baked potato, portobello mushrooms and a vegetable combination.

The chocolate chip explosion is a must have for dessert. We were full. After the description, we ordered it anyway. We made the right decision-warm chocolate chip cookie base, hot chocolate syrup oozing out the middle and over the top, and a scoop of vanilla ice cream. This is the second glatt kosher restaurant I have been to where the dessert has been absolutely phenomenal (the Top Hat dessert at the now closed Shallots in Chicago was the first). This always surprises me, given the limitation on ingredients. I would go back just for dessert, though I would rather go back for dinner too.

There were a couple strange things about the restaurant. The first was the fact that it seemed to be obsessed with portobello mushrooms. Both my salad and his steak had portobello mushrooms on top, and while tasty, they seemed really extraneous. Secondly, one of the waiters continuously did exactly the opposite of what we asked him. I ordered a ginger ale and when he brought it to the table, he gave it to my friend even after we told him I ordered it. Then he asked if we were done with our meals, we said yes, and he promptly walked away from the table without taking away our plates. By the end it was more amusing than anything else, but still very odd.

While not cheap eats, I would definitely recommend going to Wolf and Lamb when looking for some excellent meat in a relaxed environment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home