Sunday, May 21, 2006

Food Festival Fabulousness

This weekend in NYC is all about food festivals. Yesterday, I attended the NYC International Food Festival on 9th Avenue in Hell’s Kitchen. This festival was filled with so many different types of food. The streets were packed with people. Just a heads up, the crowd and venues change depending on where you are along the festival path. The food is much more upscale at the northern end and then becomes more carnivalesque once hitting the upper 30s.

I discovered a new food obsession…the arepa! These tasty treats are a staple in Venezuela. It is essentially a corn pancake sandwich. On the inside of mine was mozzarella cheese. Griddled to perfection, the arepa is hot and crunchy on the outside and gooey on the inside. One of my new missions for the summer will be to find my favorite in the city, and possibly try my hand at cooking some of my own. If you have never tried an arepa before, now is the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home